George H.W. Bush Has Died

Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died. George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens.


13 thoughts on “George H.W. Bush Has Died

  1. Perot never “had it in the bag.” He entered as a spoiler to get back at Bush. After the election, analysis showed Perot siphoned off more votes from Bush than Slick Willy. If Perot hadn’t run, Bush would have been re-elected and we would not have had the last quarter century of the corrupt Clintons (and she is talking about running AGAIN in 2020). Bubba would still be in Arkansas screwing anything that walks, crawls, slithers, or flies and Hitlery would have died of alcoholism by now.


  2. People like Mike Pusey should be ashamed of the slander he’s spewing on FB about this man on the day he dies… I hope his employer see’s his vile comments.


  3. One of the best Presidents of my lifetime. It’s a shame the electorate was too give him a second term. That epic failure can be traced to many of today’s big problems.


    1. Will Trump call him a war hero?

      The following discussion of his military service in World War II is from the Daily Times website. He is the last US President who was in the armed forces then. Since he was President, the only other President to have military service is his son.

      Commissioned as an ensign on June 9, 1943 at just shy of the age of 19, he was the youngest naval aviator at the time. Bush was stationed at Naval Air Station Fort Lauderdale, Florida, for the first two months and NAS Norfolk, Virginia, from August to September. He was assigned to Torpedo Squadron (YT-51) and was briefly stationed at the Chincoteague Naval Auxiliary Air Station on Wallops Main Base from October to December 1943.

      “Chincoteague is a very quaint little oyster town — very small and populated by colorful characters,” Bush wrote in a letter home to his family. “It is great sport to go speeding down at about 20′ and scare the fisherman who are out a-digging’ for ersters’ (they really pronounce ’em like that).”

      Bush details trips with friends up to Pocomoke, where he ate an “all oyster dinner.” He described Pocomoke and Salisbury as the main liberty towns, although he wrote in the letters he planned “to make every effort to get up to N.Y. some weekend soon.” The base, which is now the home of NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility where copies of Bush’s letters can be seen, was small, informal and friendly, and he loved it. “No Ties, caps or salutes,” Bush wrote. “Just fly and sleep. It is a real healthy life except for the miserable food.”

      The man who would go on to become the country’s 41st president affectionately referred to the base as “Chinco.” He wrote of sharing a room with the other officers in a room with beds, a stove in the middle and outdoor toilets. There was hot water, however, and Bush wrote that “all in all it is OK.”

      It surpassed his time in Norfolk, he wrote. He appreciated the oysters, calling them the best in the world, and he especially liked that “no one cares what you do as long as you appear for flights.” He compared the size of Chincoteague to Kennebunkport, Maine, where his grandfather had an estate.

      The downside, however, was the “unbelievably bad” Navy food. He refers to it as “the worst” he’d ever seen and complains only about that over the course of a few letters. “Cold lima greasy beans,” Bush wrote. “We pay $.20 a week, but it is not even worth that. It’s just terrible and always has been here.”

      In one letter, he wrote to his father of hitting a “vicious slipstream” as he came in for a landing, sending him and his plane careening and wrecking the plane. He said he was never scared and wouldn’t be in any trouble, although he was concerned it might cause his mother to “do some unnecessary worrying.”

      He signed his letters as “Poppy,” a childhood nickname.

      Bush would go on to fly 58 combat missions, for which he would receive three Air Medals, the Presidential Unit Citation and the Distinguished Flying Cross. His plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire in September 1944 while he was on a bombing run in the Pacific. Bush was rescued by a submarine, but his two crewmembers died. Bush would later say he thought of them every day.


Comments are closed.